Obama — bringing his pen and his phone — is coming to Las Vegas Friday reportedly to tout his executive fiat by which he is granting amnesty to millions of illegal aliens, paying no heed to the fact that the Constitution gives the power to legislate to Congress and not the president. The announcement of his plan is expected Thursday evening.
When Obama last spoke at Del Sol High School in January 2013 about immigration, Harry Reid said:
“President Obama offered a clear vision of the steps we need to take to fix our broken immigration system, and made clear that he stands ready to work with the members of Congress on both sides of the aisle who are currently drafting a common-sense, bipartisan solution to this issue.”
But now Reid says, “I think when the president decides to do his executive order, he should go big. As big as he can.”
But this is nothing new for Obama.
His administration has unilaterally rewritten the ObamaCare law at least 42 times, pushing back deadlines and giving tax abatements to those in the federal exchange though the law says they are only for those in state exchanges — the latter coming to a Supreme Court near you soon.
His IRS investigated conservative groups that tried to get tax-exempt status.
His EPA wrote rules that made coal power virtually illegal, exceeding the law, as it did with clean water rules.
His federal land agencies have overstepped on enforcement of the Endangered Species Act, punished oil companies that kill birds but giving free rein to windmills and solar power plants.
His Education Department waived requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act and told college campuses how to restrict “free speech.”
Obama ordered American citizens to be killed with drones but without due process.
His agencies illegally obtained the phone records of reporters.
The Department of Justice illegally sold guns for export to Mexico as part of Fast and Furious.
He failed to notify Congress as the law requires before releasing Gitmo terrorists in exchange for release of an AWOL American.
Sen. Ted Cruz added the list of Obama’s abuses of power:
• Disregarded 1996 welfare reform law in granting broad work waivers for work requirements of welfare.
• Refused to prosecute violation of drug laws with certain mandatory minimums.
• Illegally refused to act on Yucca Mountain’s application to become a nuclear waste repository.
• Illegally revealed the existence of sealed indictments in the Benghazi investigation.
• Though probably not unconstitutional, lied about Benghazi.
• Continued to give Egypt aid after the military took over its government, even though federal law prohibits aid to Egypt in the event of a coup.
• Had SWAT teams raid a Gibson guitar factory and seize property, on the purported basis that Gibson had broken India’s environmental laws — but no charges were filed.
• Government agencies are engaging in “Operation Choke Point,” where the government asks banks to “choke off” access to financial services for customers engaging in conduct the Administration does not like — such as “ammunition sales.
• Aided drug cartels instead of enforcing immigration laws — as found by a federal judge. Border Patrol agents, multiple times, knowingly helped smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.; “the DHS is encouraging parents to seriously jeopardize the safety of their children.”
• Dismissed charges filed by Bush Administration against New Black Panther Party members who were videotaped intimidating voters at a Philadelphia polling station during the 2008 election.
Investor’s Business Daily today had a partial list of Obama misdeeds:
• Abrogate well-established bankruptcy law to turn over control of General Motors to its unions who helped elect him.
• Issue unlawful recess-appointments at influential regulators — the National Labor Relations Board and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau — while the Senate remained in session.
• Sue states for enforcing their own voter ID laws.
• Claim executive privilege to shield an attorney general held in contempt of Congress for not responding to subpoenas to turn over records pertaining to a reckless and unprecedented program known as Fast and Furious that resulted in a border patrol agent’s murder.
• Be held in contempt of court for illegally obstructing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.
• Attempt to block a major manufacturing company — Boeing — from its legal right to open a manufacturing line in a right-to-work state, South Carolina.
• Arbitrarily declare the existing law under the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional and unenforceable.
• Sue states for enforcing immigration laws passed by Congress.
• Have his Environmental Protection Agency repudiated by a federal judge for illegally attempting to shut down coal operations in Appalachia.
• Bypass Congress and ram through the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, aka Dream Act, by executive order.
• Authorize the release of 36,000 criminal aliens, including rapists, kidnappers, arsonists, burglars, sex offenders and 193 murderers.
Michael Ramirez cartoon